Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Setting up an ASP.MVC Project Using TortoiseSVN and Unfuddle - Introduction

Introduction

I am in the process of beginning a new personal project using ASP.NET MVC. The actual project is something I really don’t feel like boring anyone with as it is just something I have been kicking around for a while. The important part of mentioning it, is that, as I am working my way through this project, I will pick key decision points and try to blog about the decision I reach.

The drivers for doing this are to force me to think it through a little more thoroughly, since who wants to blog something only to have someone point out something obvious, and to help me fine tune my skills at communicating the approach.

Will I get everything right? I doubt it, but it will serve as a conversation starter, at the least and hopefully in the end provide some guidance to others finding their way as well.

Getting Started

As I want to try to get the project off the ground to a relatively organized start. I am planning on using Unfuddle as my source control provider and TortoiseSVN as the tool to send updates to Unfuddle. The driver for this is giving me some ability to rollback changes that don’t work. I also get an easy way to keep versions of my code straight on my commuting laptop, my home desktop machine and possibly with other developers if the project seems to have some possibility of going somewhere.

Later I plan to implement continuous integration using Cruise Control.NET to allow me to automate builds to a demo environment to kick the tires as I move forward.

The steps I am going to walk through in this series of posts are the ones to create the initial project structure, tune them a little easier to manage and get them checked in to my new repository.

The actual process is this:

  1. Creating the Local Project folder structure and import it into a New Unfuddle Repository

  2. Create the Visual Studio Solution, MVC and supporting projects and tune them a little

  3. Import the new solution to Unfuddle

As I go through these feel free to post comments and feedback.

Enjoy!

No comments: